Our Lady’s Home - New Farm
1 July 1956
Our Lady’s Home, Brisbane, opened on 1 July 1956. Most Rev. James Duhig, Archbishop of Brisbane was eager to have the gentle presence of Our Lady’s Nurses for the Poor in his diocese, and after more than a decade of talks the nurses arrived in New Farm.
Sisters May McGahey, Lucy Mackay and Peggy Shead were the foundation sisters and were supported by Mother General Cissie McLaughlin for the first few months.
Our Lady’s Home quickly became a focal point of Brisbane’s Catholic community.
As stated on the Telegraph Brisbane newspaper clipping “They accept no money for their work and emphasize that their services are available irrespective of creed or colour.” So, annual gift days were important as they raised hundreds of pounds in cash and donations of much-needed supplies of groceries, medical requirements and clothing.
New Farm proved to be a fruitful mission, with the sisters making more than three thousand visits and distributing one thousand food, medical and clothing parcels each year.