1 April 1962. Our Lady’s Nurses for the Poor opens its third branch at Newcastle, NSW, after more than a decade of discussions with local clergy. Following the purchase and refurbishment of a large house in Merewether, Sisters Patricia Davoren, Marie Purcell and Greta Gabb (pictured here with Mother Superior Cissie McLaughlin (left) on foundation day), arrive in Newcastle on 2 February 1962. Our Lady’s Home is officially opened two months later in the presence of co-founder of Our Lady’s Nurses for the Poor, Rev. Edward (Ted) McGrath msc. The local Lions Club presents the community with a new car to get their mission off to a flying start. The Sisters are soon making more than 3000 visits and distributing 1000 food, medical and clothing parcels each year.